Monday 13 February 2012

GP's any good??

For the last 3 years i have been on Diazepam to help control my muscle spasms in my back, that was until 2 weeks ago when i put in a repeat prescription for them. it was denied! i picked up the prescription slip only to see Diazepam crossed out with a squiggly line. So i made an appointment with my GP, who, ive learned, is one of the owners of the practise. he said i shouldn't be on Diazepam, i told him what i need it for, but he wasn't going to shift. instead, he prescribed Citalopram which is an antidepressant, and a rubbish one at that. I have been prescribed antidepressants in the past to eliminate depression, and was soon taken off it again. 2 weeks after being prescribed Citalopram, i saw another doctor, who swiftly told me to stop taking them and that i dont need them, he, again, prescribed me Diazepam. It turns out that, and i want to make you all aware of this, that GP's get their money from something called the QOF (The Quality and Outcomes Framework). This points system means the GP practice gets paid from the way they treat you. I have learned that the more patients get prescribed drugs such as Diazepam, the LESS money the practice gets, and the more patients get prescribed drugs such as antidepressants, the MORE money the practice receives. so now i have a doctors appointment with a doctor who is not an owner and doesn't have much responsibility with the practices income. I for one find the fact that GP's are more concerned with getting lots of money, rather than treating patients correctly, to be disgraceful. If you are on drugs such as antidepressants, and you are questioning yourself whether you need to be on them, see a GP who is not an owner of your practice, and ask them. I am not depressed, i am in pain. I do not need mood stabilizers! I know that Diazepam is a form of Valium, and this is the ingredient that i need to control my muscles. Here is a brief description from drugs.com website about valium and Diazepam:


Valium (diazepam) belongs to a group of drugs called benzodiazepines. Diazepam affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety.

Valium is used to treat anxiety disorders,alcohol withdrawal symptoms, or muscle spasms. Valium is sometimes used with other medications to treat seizures.

So for a doctor to refuse Diazepam to someone in my condition is not only wrong, but unethical!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting